The story of educational technology is one of unfulfilled promise. There are many great educational software products on the market, but it’s tough for developers to get them working in schools, and even tougher for schools to manage and evaluate them. We’re trying to fix that with two main products: an API that allows developers to work with school data in a secure, structured way; and a single sign-on portal that allows students to access all their educational apps with one identity.
When we started four years ago, four schools used Clever. Today, Clever is used by half of all K-12 schools in America (over 60,000), making it the fastest-growing company in education. We're looking for talented engineers who want to help us build Clever into something every school, student, and teacher relies on.
A Day in the Life
As a Security Engineer at Clever, you'll be part of the small team that lead efforts to secure our services and protect our customers. We're looking for someone who understands how to scale application security efforts at a growing organization. You’ll have the following responsibilities:
- Be a security subject matter expert and help our product and engineering teams address risk.
- Find and fix vulnerabilities in our application code.
- Design and develop security-sensitive code, including identity and authentication protocol code.
- Build out infrastructure to automate application security for Clever services.
- Represent Clever in the security community to keep updated on vulnerabilities and threats.
- Contribute as part of the engineering team to build Clever products and services.
- Mentor teammates about secure coding practices and evangelize security in the company.
We work across the full-stack to create products that are robust and delightful for students, educators, and developers to use. Currently we write in Node.js (ES6) and React with Redux for frontend and Go for backend. We also use MongoDB, Postgres, Docker, and many AWS services (ECS, Step Functions, etc). Our identity products speak OAuth 2 and SAML 2.0.
Things we’re looking for
- A degree in computer science (or significant programming experience) is ideal.
- The ability to think adversarially and balance security risk against other objectives.
- Strong communication abilities, with a particular focus on patience and empathy.
- Dedication to Clever's mission: making it easy to bring great software to the classroom.
- A desire to grow as an engineer through collaboration, code reviews, and learning new languages/technologies.
- A desire to work in a diverse, highly collaborative team environment.
What Clever offers
- Tackle the challenges of securing a fast growing platform trusted by hundreds of partners and thousands of schools.
- An opportunity to guide the security architecture of a high-availability service using open source software and the cloud.
- Competitive salary and significant equity in well-funded, high-growth company.
- Catered lunch five days a week and dinner two days a week.
- Generous vacation and holidays.
- Top-notch healthcare, vision, & dental coverage.
- Unlimited Amazon.com credits for learning.
- An incredible team of fun, bright coworkers.