Senior Accounting Manager at Turnitin
Oakland, CA, US
Turnitin is your partner in education with integrity. Turnitin’s originality checking and authorship investigation services ensure academic integrity, promote critical thinking, and help students improve their authentic writing. Turnitin provides instructors with the tools to prevent plagiarism, engage students in the writing process, and provide personalized feedback. Turnitin is used by more than 30 million students at 15,000 institutions in 140 countries. Turnitin is headquartered in Oakland, Calif., with international offices in Newcastle, U.K., Utrecht, Netherlands, Melbourne, Australia, Seoul, Korea and throughout Latin America.
The Senior Accounting Manager will be responsible for monitoring general accounting practices, developing internal accounting controls, tracking high volume of transactions, maintaining the general ledger, balance sheet, account reconciliations, and managing a team of 3 – 4 accountants.
This position requires the ability to work, adapt, and evolve in a fast-paced environment, often working under tight deadlines, changing requirements, and teams in multiple time zones. Dedication, quick thinking, good decision-making, a high sense of urgency and experienced management skills are critical traits for this role. This position will report directly to our Accounting Director and play a critical role in the financial future of the company.
- Lead the day-to-day accounting operations and ensure that monthly accounting records are maintained.
- Lead the monthly account reconciliation process ensuring accuracy and support for general ledger balances.
- Intercompany expertise for several US and foreign subsidiaries including management fees, intercompany settlements, intercompany debt, intercompany consolidation / eliminations. Extensive knowledge of transfer pricing practices.
- Extensive knowledge of foreign currency transactions. Working with several currencies and ensuring proper recording in NetSuite
- Reconcile statutory financial records prepared by international consultants to NetSuite. Coordinate statutory audits.
- Work directly with US auditors and coordinate preparation of audit PBC’s and financial statements.
- Reconcile sales tax and VAT/GST accounts and coordinate with consultants to ensure timely tax filings.
- Lead system implementations / upgrades
Characteristics for Success:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and perform under pressure
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and manage a demanding workload involving multiple tasks, responsibilities, and tight deadlines with follow-through and minimal supervision
- Must be able to move among various tasks and address responsibilities in a 'hands on' detail-oriented manner with an ability to work efficiently and accurately
- Dedication to needs of the total organization
- Self-starter and proactive thinker
10+ years hands on and increasing levels of Accounting & Finance experience in a fast-paced environment
7+ years experience in an accounting leadership role
Expert Excel skills and hands-on exposure to accounting systems (NetSuite preferred)
Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact across a variety of functional areas
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- NetSuite/Concur system experience
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or veterans status.