Coursera is a mission-driven company that works to connect anyone, anywhere to life-transforming learning experiences. Today, Coursera is the world’s largest and most popular online learning platform for higher education. 170 of the world’s top universities and companies partner with Coursera to offer courses and degrees that help more than 35 million learners achieve their goals. More than 1,400 companies use Coursera’s enterprise platform, Coursera for Business, to improve their team’s skill set. Coursera is backed by leading venture capital firms, such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education Inc., and Learn Capital.
Coursera is looking for a capable, motivated System Administrator to take over all aspects of the configuration and maintenance of our systems, network and automation. We run a fast-paced, but casual office, in a supportive atmosphere. As part of a small IT team, you'll wear lots of hats and gain plenty of valuable experience.
This position will be initially responsible for day to day administration of our Network, Windows and Linux servers, Virtualization infrastructure and all supporting hardware and software systems. You’ll provide server, network and application side infrastructure support and work closely with our software development, desktop support, help desk and other departments to insure a superior experience for our clients. This is a hands-on position and applicants must have significant experience executing detailed project initiatives in order to add to our reputation of Coursera’s IT Team.
- Design, develop, install, and maintain operating systems, utilities, and application software on computing systems
- Resolve system emergencies with significant impact on the integrity of user data and systems
- Design, configure, implement, and maintain system security strategies, policies, and procedures
- Establish software/hardware standards and systems policies and procedures and engage in long-term strategic planning with regard to systems development and integration
- Conceptualize and implement systems within broad technical or structural frameworks
- Act as a technical expert or lead for local help desk team
- Manage vendor relationships and cost effective hardware and software maintenance agreements
- Monitor and analyze resource usage to recommend/develop enhancements to system capabilities and performance
- Manage hardware, software, and utilities for installation, modification, troubleshooting, maintenance, and upgrades of operating systems and workstation environments.
- Manage ticketing system queue
- Use automation, orchestration and scripting tools to manage existing and future systems
- Attend training in order to keep skills current
- Document systems infrastructure for users, support and consulting personnel, and developers
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with complex multi-system platforms and vendors, along with coordinating multi-system and computing environments in independent computing facilities
- Skilled developing/implementing a business continuation and disaster recovery plan
- Basic ability to program in a mainstream language (Python, Linux shell, Perl, or other scripting tools)
- Knowledge of security trends and best practices
- Proven record automating all things and hands-on experience managing Macs and Mac automation (JAMF experience is a huge plus)
- Hands-on experience with Windows AD directory, Group Policies, FileSharing, PowerShell and Windows Server environment
- Experience deploying and maintaining VMware Vsphere infrastructure
- Working knowledge of monitoring tools (Nagios, LogicMonitor or similar)
- Some knowledge of AWS services (EC2, S3, Storage gateway, IaaS automation tools)
- Networking background with good knowledge of networking equipment and protocols (Cisco, Palo Alto Networks and Aruba)
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time while demonstrating strong conceptual, logical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills paired with the ability to convey complicated technical issues in an easy-to-comprehend fashion to non-technical staff.
- MCSE certification (plus)