Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. In partnership with 170 of the world’s top universities and industry educators, we offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 39 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. Over 1,800 companies use the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. And we are backed by leading venture capital firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, and GSV Capital.
As Director, Data Science & Machine Learning you will lead a talented team of scientists in defining and building innovative products to unlock the next generation of education. This team is responsible for ideating, prototyping, and productionizing the machine learning algorithms that power the product and the business, including search, recommendations, automated nudges and learning interventions, and instructor-facing features to support learners at scale.
In this role, you will own the vision, strategy, and roadmap for machine learning at Coursera. The ideal candidate is an innovative and impact-oriented builder with a strong computational and statistical skill set, exceptional leadership and management skills, and a passion for education. We believe the next generation of education is personalized, accessible, and efficient -- reaching a world of learners who need it --, and that with our data, technology, and talent we are best positioned to make that vision a reality.
- Set the vision for machine learning and data products at Coursera
- Attract, develop, and retain a world-class team of data scientists, including providing deep technical guidance
- Collaborate with product management, engineering, and business leaders in defining and executing on the data product roadmap
- Be a thought-leader internally and externally on how data is transforming education
- 6+ years experience building data-powered products
- 3+ years leading high-performing teams of data scientists, research scientists, and/or machine learning engineers
- Strong applied skills in machine learning, programming, and statistics
- Excellent communicator and cross-functional collaborator
- Passion for improving access to high-quality education
- Ph.D. in computer science, applied math, statistics, or related technical field