Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Kampala, Kigali and Egypt, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela is looking for an experienced Director of Accounting to lead the Company’s East Africa accounting group. Reporting to the Global Controller, the Director of Accounting will be responsible for managing financial operations and reporting, managing the financial control environment, providing thought leadership and support to a variety of leadership members, and working on special projects to support Andela’s accelerated growth across the continent.
What You Will Do
- Build, develop and maintain financial systems, reporting and process – monthly, quarterly and annual close process, cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed asset management, key estimates and accruals, lease accounting, and a variety of other areas.
- Maintaining and implementing an effective control environment to mitigate financial, compliance and fraud risks, as well as proactively audit key functions and accounts.
- Support business expansions strategies
- Manage the external audit process for statutory financial statements, ensure that the Company is in compliance with internal policies, local regulations and standards.
- Lead treasury operations including banking relationships, cash flow forecasting, working capital, etc.
- Lead tax operations and compliance in a variety of ares such as CIT, VAT, withholding, Tax provision, etc, as well as managing external tax relationships.
- Recruiting and maintaining high performance accounting teams and developing team members for advancement.
- Partner with leadership team on a variety of special projects, business and expansion strategies.
- A CPA in good standing with a minimum of 10 – 15 years of proven work experience in financial operations, managerial accounting, a Big 4 audit firm or related field.
- Strong knowledge of technical, IFRS and statutory accounting; U.S. GAAP knowledge or experience is a plus
- Experience leading high performing accounting teams in various locations of Sub Saharan Africa
- Subject matter expert in local tax laws, regulations and compliance in a variety of areas including PAYE, CIT, VAT, Withholding, Excise Tax, Expat Taxes, and acceptable schemes.
- Strong experience in project managing and partnering with senior leadership and executive teams with focus on problem solving and solutions.
- A self-starter who can both manage resources or roll up sleeves to execute projects from start to finish
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.