Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Kigali and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela is growing it’s engineering experience team exponentially in 2019. Join our growing team in supporting Andela’s engineering community. This is an amazing opportunity for a passionate and talented HRBP to innovate alongside a stellar team and equally passionate and driven managers. Your role will support the implementation of a variety of programs and initiatives that create a compelling employee experience for all engineers at Andela. This role is an awesome opportunity to blend employee advocacy and engagement with driving key business outcomes.
You will act as a liaison for employees and managers, focusing on supporting and implementing people team programs. You will provide guidance and support on people processes, procedures and initiatives. You will collect qualitative feedback that assists the broader Engineering Experience team in delivering both exceptional partner and employee experiences.
This role reports to a more senior member of the Eng Exp team (Manager or SM)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of engineering experience programs and initiatives through execution including retention strategies, performance management, recognition and reward, culture and connection, career development and advancement, onboarding
- 1st point of contact for engineers on all matters including lifecycle events.
- Able to resolve issues independently and minimize escalations, seamless transfer between you, people operations and partner engineering
- Support partner engineering and (future management structure for engineers) to nurture a culture that rewards growth in critical skills, competencies and delivery
- Connect engineers to learning and growth opportunities provided by TDD, amplify learning and development strategies and communications
- Work with Senior HRBP for your pod to manage communication and engagement especially with regard to change, providing clarity and transparency
- Manage employee relations, disciplinary/grievances,
- Genuine interest in building and maintaining relationships with engineers, partner engineering and the broader people team in service of creating a compelling employee value proposition
- Meaningful directly relevant experience as an HRBP ideally in a fast paced/dynamic start up or technology environment
- Stellar track record that includes demonstrated proactivity/initiative, creative problem solving, critical thinking, execution focus
- Have a strong sense of business ethics and ability to appropriately handle confidential information and demonstrate a solid understanding of Human Resources Management Processes, Culture and Performance Management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to influence and interface with Management teams and Line Managers
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with key stakeholders that enable you to execute effectively
- Strong interest in leveraging data to inform decisions
- Experience in a challenging, changing, complex business environment with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism).
- Passion for what you do, empathy in how you do it, discomfort with the things being just “ok”
- Previous experience in coaching employees and management through moderately complex issues
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Country labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela. Ability to adapt applicable Global labour laws into local practices as required. Experience with other East African countries is a plus.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.