Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Accra, Nairobi, Cairo and Kampala; Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Software Engineer Position:
As a Ruby Software Engineer at Andela, you will primarily work as an engineer for one of Andela’s global partners, predominantly located in the U.S. or Europe. You will commonly work on global teams comprised of Andela engineers and your partner’s in-house development teams. Andela Software Engineers are professional, collaborative, and skilled at completing full feature development, taking initiative, and always continuing to grow personally and professionally. They have both excellent technical skills and strong team skills, and can effectively operate in a geographically distributed team environment.
What Opportunities Exist at Andela
- Work with global companies to accelerate your career;
- Ongoing learning, development, and mentoring opportunities;
- A large community of passionate Andela engineers.
The specific responsibilities of a Ruby Software Engineer include:
- Defining and delivering software that meets and exceeds the expectations of your team, managers, and partners;
- Developing readable, testable, and maintainable code to spec;
- Commitment to continued technical and professional growth;
- Interfacing with partners to understand their business, goals, and visions for products supported by your Andela Team;
- Lending your knowledge and positive approach to your Andela community of engineers.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
- Have at least 2 years of professional experience as a Software Engineer, writing code for web applications, data initiatives, core services, or mobile products
- Are proficient in writing code in Ruby and enjoy learning new languages, frameworks, and technologies:
- Familiarity with SQL or NoSQL stores
- Exposure to CI/CD pipelines and tools
- Experience writing test cases
- May have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university
- Exposure to Agile methodologies
- Enjoy collaborating, problem-solving, and being part of a team environment
- Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English; verbal and written)
- The ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and limited supervision
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100,000 young Africans in the next 10 years.