As a Student Services Advisor, you will support student retention efforts by ensuring students are attending class, turning in assignments on time and supporting them to achieve their educational and career goals by identifying barriers to student success and implementing proactive strategies that promote graduation.
Essential Competencies, Duties, and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Interact daily with students via phone, email, text and live chat to respond to student concerns and questions as well as proactive phone outreach
- Monitor daily student progress to proactively identify “at-risk” scenarios
- Assist students with degree completion planning and course sequencing
- Identify opportunities to develop, implement, measure and improve academic success strategies
- Coordinate retention efforts and student-related activities with instructors
- Monitor grades and attendance
- Provide advising and serve as an advocate for students and refer to other departments as needed
- Maintain compliance and strictly adhere to all University policies, procedures and standards
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Counseling, Education, Psychology or closely related field
- Master’s degree preferred
- Distance (Online) learning experience preferred
- Customer Service experience preferred
Critical skills for this position:
- Excellent customer service skills (phone, email, text, live chat)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Critical problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to “think on your feet” and remain calm when faced with an angry or upset student
- Ability to perform multiple tasks while attending to detail
- Comfortable with web-based technologies and experience with Learning Management systems a plus!
- Available some evenings and weekends as needed
At HotChalk, we deliver the transformative power of lifelong learning through innovative, data-driven solutions to our partner schools and the students we serve – because we believe every mind matters.